I’ve started a new job and haven’t had much time to do anything gaming related. I did spend a few hours getting my paint on.
I picked up the HVT known as Mobutu halfway through the month. He was a joy to paint. The new infinity models have a lot of details that are fairly easy to shade and highlight. The older models have a lot of flat surfaces that require a bit of skill to get the best out of. Anyhoo, I wanted my Mobutu to rock a red jacket with gold highlights. My NMM isn’t their yet but I feel that I’m getting close. I’m also getting better with smoothing out my highlights. A little glaze of the original color helps hide most of the mistakes. The pants were blue grey to barley grey. I was happiest with the way they turned out.
I was so excited after painiting this guy so I jumped into my next project, painting up a Naga. I tried to follow the Corvis Belli paint scheme for the skin. That is light browns highlighted to sandy white after a violet wash. I wanted the armor and uniforms to be blue, instead of Corvus Belli’s black highlighted to white with a blue glaze. The bags were medium green highlighted to light brown and sand. My violet wash on the skin was a bit messy and I wasn’t able to fix it during the highlighting stage. I was very happy with the way the bags turned out. I’ll definitely be using this on my SAA.
Next up I tried some airbrushing. My terrain project from last year wasn’t really going anywhere so I thought I might restart it. I had primed and pre shaded micro arts objective markers a very long time ago. I’ve always wanted them to look like something from Aleph. I based coated it with light browns and highlighted to sand. The violet wash looked a bit weird so I painted over it with a mix of light brown and sand. I ended up washing some dark brown into the grooves to add some definition. If airbrushed steel bluefin the screens and anywhere where I thought there would be a light source. I highlighted to sky blue with the airbrush to help with with the lighting effect. My lighting effect could do with a lot more work. It looks good on the table but doesn’t look very good up close.
I had a plascraft objective room that I wanted to try out. It was cheaper than the micro arts one since it was cheaper to ship. Furthermore, it won’t require much prep time to paint. It requires a bit of glue but it’s a lot easier to build than mdf buildings. I wasn’t super happy with the way the corners turned out so I used a bit of glue on them. The tape was there to hold it in place as the glue set.
My son is a prolific gamer and hobby guru. He seems to be able to paint up a bunch of guys every week to a pretty good quality. I’ve attached some pics of my favorites.
I totally blame Ash Barker and his Guerrilla Miniature Games for this. I’ve been umming and arring over Malifaux for years and I finally took the plunge. Binge watching all those battle reports is what pushed me over the edge. I’ll probably get around to painting these up in around 3 months. The miniatures look fantastic but seem very fragile. Just look at the sprues below! One mistake and some delicate but vital part of the model is buggered!